Dashcam Shows Moment Sydney ‘Street Race’ Ends in Sickening Crash

Police have slammed the conduct of a 22-year-old driver who allegedly sped off after a street race in Sydney’s west ended in a sickening crash, leaving a father of two crushed and trapped in his car on the side of the road.

Dashcam footage of the incident shows the two drivers, who police say did not know each other, take off from traffic lights on Cowpasture Road at around 6.40pm yesterday.

But the race quickly turns ugly when one of the men, 40-year-old Foad Hellouc, loses control of his car, swerving left before veering right and crossing to the other side of the road.

Dashcam footage shows the moment Mr Hellouc's car ploughed into a tree. (Supplied)

The Mazda RX-7 was almost unrecognisable after the high-speed crash. (9NEWS)

He hits a tree on the large median strip in the middle of the road, a large branch spearing the side of his vehicle.

One road user who witnessed the crash describes how their car was shrouded in a “big cloud of black smoke and debris” sent flying from the collision as they drove past.

“So we just immediately pulled over and we could see that there was a car on fire,” Tamara Green told 9NEWS.

Customers at a nearby McDonald’s witnessed the crash and rushed to help, some reportedly bringing along a fire extinguisher.

Foad Hellouc, 40, (left) remains in Liverpool Hospital with critical head injuries, while 22-year-old Jayden Glass is facing multiple charges over the street race. (Supplied)

Mr Hellouc was trapped in his car for more than an hour before being freed by rescue workers. (9NEWS)

“We were sitting at Maccas and we saw a car driving really fast and it hit the curb,” a witness told 9NEWS.

It took firefighters more than an hour to free Mr Hellouc from his crumpled Mazda.

The father of two appears to be a big racing fan, posting videos of car races and images of him astride a motorbike on social media.

One man suffered critical head injuries in the crash at Carnes Hill, Sydney. (9NEWs)

Emergency rescue crews worked for more than an hour to free Mr Hellouc from his car. (9NEWS)

The 40-year-old suffered severe head injuries and remains in Liverpool Hospital in a critical but stable condition.

Acting Inspector Naomi Earle told 9NEWS that the collision was completely preventable and “just stupidity” on the part of both drivers.

“This whole event was very dangerous. It’s lucky that the person who was injured in this collision was one of the drivers involved and no innocent member was injured,” she said.

“This is just stupidity – drivers driving stupid. There was no need for this collision to occur.”

Mr Hellouc was taken to hospital in a critical condition after the Carnes Hill crash. (9NEWS)

Jayden Glass, the 22-year-old driver of the white Toyota, allegedly continued on to his girlfriend’s house, only returning to the crash two hours later to hand himself in.

He has since been charged with organising and promoting the race and dangerous driving, and his car has been seized for forensic analysis.

It is unclear if any further charges will be laid.