Man ‘Forced is Way Into Home and Shot Dog in the Head with a Spear Gun’

A man is facing animal cruelty charges after allegedly hitting a dog then shooting it in the head with a spear gun during an attempted burglary.

Police alleged Alistair Morgan, a 45-year-old Woy Woy man, broke into a home in Woy Woy on New South Wales’ Central Coast about midday yesterday.

Today a court heard that Morgan allegedly struck the dog a number of times on the head, dragged it from the house, disconnected the home’s CCTV system used to monitor the dog and then threw the pet into his own property before using the speargun to shoot it in the head from the top of a shed.

Millie the dog was shot in the head with a spear gun during an attempted robbery. (Supplied)Millie has undergone surgery for her injuries. (Supplied)

Police were alerted and attended the scene, where he was subsequently arrested.

Kim Lott, the owner of the dog – who is named Millie – told 9NEWS she was shocked to hear of the break-in and called the attack “horrific”.

The man accused of shooting the dog has been arrested and will face court today. (Supplied)

“When I’ve pulled up and I’ve come in, I was just yelling for the dogs to see where they were and there was no response from any of them,” she said.

“I just wanted to come in to see if everything was okay with the dogs because usually they know when I’m home and they would have come out the back.

“It’s horrific what’s happened. I’m just still in shock.”

Ms Lott also said that she believes Millie suffered a collapsed lung in the attack after being kicked saw the man wink at her after being arrested by police.

Millie's owner, Kim Lott, told 9NEWS she believes the dog suffered a collapsed lung in the attack (Supplied).

“All I know is that he’s got her over his fence, the neighbours up the back saw a guy standing on the roof with a speargun and jumped off the roof with a speargun and got Millie in the head,” she said.

“The police came and (were) looking everywhere and then we heard the police shuffling and telling someone to get on the ground.

“I can’t believe that he’s actually come into my house, waited until I left at 7 o’clock to go to work and come in and done that.”

The dog was taken to the vet, has undergone surgery for her injuries and remains in a critical condition.

Morgan was refused bail and fronted court charged with commit act of aggravated cruelty upon an animal, fire spear gun manner likely to injure person/property, and break and enter house and steal value less than $60,000.

He is expected to reappear in court on February 6.