Ninety-seven people have been convicted of murder at a mass trial in Papua New Guinea over sorcery-related killings in 2014 that shocked the nation, according to local media reports.
The National newspaper says at the trial on Friday at the Madang National Court, all 97 accused were found guilty of killing seven people.
They had all pleaded not guilty in April. The sentencing will take place at a later date.
Prosecutors alleged that the convicted were part of a group of 189 men, including 69 juveniles, wearing tribal war paint, who travelled to Sakiko village with the intent of seeking out and killing “sorcerers.”
A bystander was killed by members of the group on the way to the village, Judge David Cannings told the court.
The group then attacked the village and brutally killed six residents with bows and arrows and bush knives and axes. Among the dead were two boys aged three and five.
Superstition is rooted in some of the tribal cultures in PNG, which has seen a spate of attacks in recent years in sorcery-related violence.
A six-year-old girl was tortured last year after being accused of witchcraft. Her mother had been killed in a similar attack four years earlier.