Graham Arnold has shut down a report he has been offered the Socceroos coaching job and reiterated he has heard nothing from Football Federation Australia (FFA).
Based on an anonymous source, Fox Sports claimed on Wednesday night the Sydney FC coach had been told the job was his if he wants it on a take-it-or-leave-it basis.
That was despite FFA’s expert panel having only just started defining the job criteria, a process it said did not involve talking to candidates until early January.
Amid a flurry of big foreign names, Arnold was the standout local frontrunner.
But while the 54-year-old was “flattered”, he said there was nothing to talk about.
“Nothing has changed for me from last week. Everything is exactly the same … there’s nothing been offered, so I don’t even think about,” Arnold said today.
“It’s obviously flattering to be considered for the national team as a proud Australian.”
Former Brazil and Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said yesterday he had been approached about taking over from Ange Postecoglou, who stood aside in November.
Scolari said he was happy to discuss a role with the Australians, but would want it to be long-term, not just for the World Cup running in June and July next year.
Postecoglou resigned after the Socceroos defeated Honduras to qualify for the tournament in Russia, kicking off the search for a new coach.
But Arnold said his focus remained on table-topping Sydney FC’s A-League campaign.
“I have a contract with Sydney FC, I believe we’re doing well but we need to do greater than we are at the moment,” he said.
“As I said last week to the players, everyone around the world is watching what they and the staff do.
“I’ve had other interest outside Australia, and for me the most important thing is my next decision and making it for my family and my beautiful wife, as I’m getting older myself.”